The Mediterranean diet is often referred to as the top diet to eat for health. It is also one of the easiest to follow and incorporates fresh whole food ingredients which are exactly what your body needs for fuel on a daily basis and to help you lead a healthy life.
Use whatever beans you wish. I like to use mixed beans for variety and colour. This salad works perfectly as a side dish or with hummus and pitta bread.
Mediterranean Bean Salad:
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400g can of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- OR 2 x 400g can of mixed beans or whatever you find in your pantry!
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
- 1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green pepper, seeds removed, diced (or colour of your choice)
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Handful of fresh mint, chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional spices: 1 teaspoon of any spice you like (eg. sumac, za’atar or oregano)
- In a large bowl mix together the beans you are using, olives, roasted red peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, feta cheese, mint, parsley and spring onions.
- In a large jar whisk all the dressing ingredients together. Drizzle over the salad and gently toss to coat with the dressing.