This is one of my go to dishes for meat free Monday. Beans and legumes are a rich source of fiber, protein and B vitamins. I like to serve it with fresh crusty ciabatta or sourdough slices. Gluten free bread is also an option. There is minimal prep involved and ready in roughly 30 minutes. Quick, easy and nutritious. Just how I like it!.
1 large onion or 2 small finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp ground cumin
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
400g tin of mixed beans or 2 x 200g different beans e.g. kidney/cannellini beans rinsed and drained
100g green beans chopped
100g spinach washed and roughly chopped
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- Tip in the tomatoes plus a cup of water (roughly half the tin) and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened.
- Add all the beans and cook for 5 Season.
- Add the spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes.