I often turn to this tasty store cupboard pasta dish when I am time short and not in the mood for a meat dish. Warm garlic bread is a great accompaniment to this dish.
1 red onion thinly slicked
2 garlic cloves crushed
200g cherry tomatoes halved
1 tbsp butter
Half teaspoon dried chilli flakes
200g wholewheat spaghetti
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
150g baby spinach leaves
Grated parmesan for sprinkling
Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Melt the butter in a deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sliced red onion, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the onion is tender.
- Add the garlic to the pan, reduce the heat to very low and cook for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Drain the spaghetti.
- Add the halved tomatoes to the onion mixture then add the vinegar and oil. Stir.
- Place the drained spaghetti on top of everything, along with the spinach leaves and toss the mixture together. The spinach will wilt with the heat of the pasta.
- Serve and add the grated parmesan and basil leaves.