These scrummy pies are a great way to use up cooked chicken and any vegetables you have lying around. Just chop them up small. I used some cooked mushrooms and added spinach in some and frozen peas in others. Left over Sunday roast vegetables would be equally as good. Get imaginative. There can be no arguing over who got a bigger slice of pie. I use ready-made pastry just so you know!
Makes 8-10 mini pies
500g pack shortcrust pastry
2 cooked chicken breasts shredded or left-over chicken chopped small
85g fresh or frozen peas or other vegetables chopped small
Handful spinach chopped
150g crème fraiche
1 egg beaten
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to roughly 1cm thickness. Cut out 8 x 9cm circles using a cookie cutter or rim of a small bowl large enough to line the base and sides of a muffin tin.
- Divide the chicken and other vegetables using between the moulds.
- Season then dollop over a generous 1tbsp of crème fraiche.
- Cut out 8 x 7cm circles large enough to use as a top for the pies. Pinch the sides to seal.
- With the beaten egg, brush the edges of the mini pies and the tops for a nice glaze. Feel free to make shapes from the left-over pastry to decorate the pie tops.
- Heat the oven to 180c and bake for 30-35 mins or until the pastry is crisp and golden.