These were a surprising hit at home as I wasn’t sure how the sweet potato would be received. I served them for lunch and they could easily be a starter or breakfast option with a poached egg on top. Simple to make too as an added bonus.
700g sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
30g kale/spinach shredded or a mix of both
3-4 spring onions finely chopped
1 tsp harissa paste
1 egg beaten
260g cod fillet skinned
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper
- Steam or boil the sweet potatoes until soft for approximately 12 – 15 minutes. Add the Kale and Spinach for last 2 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking place the cod in a pan of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4-5 minutes. Then drain.
- Drain the vegetables and transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the spring onions, harissa and egg. Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Flake the fish with a fork and add to the vegetable mix, stirring well.
- Get your hands stuck in and divide the mixture into 8 fishcakes. Dust with a little flour and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the fishcakes for 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Top with some ground salt.