Mashed vegetarian sausages, sweet caramelised onion and warm flaky pastry dipped in a sweet chilli jam or relish, what’s not to love?
Makes 6 large sausage rolls
- 1 large or 2 small red onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 6 veggie/vegan sausages of choice
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1/2 tbsp of milk [dairy or dairy-free]
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of sesame seeds
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge to allow it to come to room temperature slightly before unrolling. Next heat a pan on a medium heat and add the oil and sliced red onion. Cook for a few minutes then add the light brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Mix it all together and allow to caramelise stirring frequently for about 15 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and unroll the puff pastry. If the sausages have skins on remove them. Mash the sausages with a fork and then using a knife cut the sheet of pastry into 6 even squares.
- Split the onion mix between the 6 and place it on the right-hand side of each square ensuring space is left around the edge.
- Now add the sausage filling on top of the onion and then carefully fold the left side of the pastry over the right and seal the long side tightly shut.
- In a bowl combine the milk, soy sauce and maple syrup. You could also use a beaten egg for the glaze here too.
- Gently score some lines in each roll and the brush over the liquid mix. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and place them onto a tray and into the oven for 20-25 mins until lovely and brown in colour. Enjoy!